Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fall is finally here!

Holy cow, where has the time gone?? It's been so long since I've been on here! I'm a terrible blogger! It's just been so busy, what with work and all... But it's ok, I'm here now.

I've been on a "diet" for about two months now, and I put diet in quoted because it's not really so much that I'm following any particular regime so much as I'm just trying to be healthier. Anyway, the other evening, I found myself lacking anything healthy to eat, except for the soup that I had been eating for the past several evenings. While going through my cupboards and refrigerator, I came up with this super-tasty (and of course, Italian inspired. I can't help myself!) little recipe. Super easy to cook for just one, or can be made for LOTS of people by just multiplying the ingredients. So I just HAD to share it with you! If my restaurant someday has a healthier options section on the menu, this will go on it! And no one has to know it's good for them if you don't tell them!

Unnamed Pasta Dish (Name TBA)

1 cup raw spinach leaves
5 or 6 large basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped red onion (dice it, slice it, doesn't matter!)
2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or crushed (but still somewhat intact)
1 Tbsp olive oil
6 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1/2 cup diced tomato)
1/3 cup marinara sauce (to make it healthier watch for lower calorie counts, I will post a recipe soon for home-made marinara)
1 ounce angel hair pasta

Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, start on the rest of the dish as follows:

In a nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat (no higher than 5 or 6, or the spinach will scorch and stick, no matter how good the skillet.) Add the spinach to the skillet, and saute
until the leaves just start to shrivel and turn darker green. Add the garlic and onion, and continue to saute until the onion just begins to become slightly translucent. Add the basil, and continue to saute until the basil leaves pretty much blend in with the spinach. Add the tomatoes and the marinara sauce, and stir continuously until heated evenly throughout. By this time, the pasta should be done. Lower the heat on the skillet, and drain the pasta. Add to the pan, give a quick swirl around, and turn onto a plate. Serves 1.

This stuff is soooo good! My friend and I had a workout date the other day, and I made this for us and my husband also. They both loved it as much as I did! The whole process took about 20 minutes, and it was filling enough for my hubby (and he has a man-sized appetite!) You can even sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese on top and not really alter the nutritional value. Of course, if nutrition isn't really your thing, you can always drown in in cheese like he did!

As I'm typing this, I am enjoying a rather large piece of chocolate mousse cake. After the hard work that I've done, I think I deserve it! Back on the wagon tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment